Wednesday 18 March 2015

Mother's Day

Last Sunday was Mother's Day in the UK, and I was away (entirely unintentionally - I'd booked to go and see my sister and her new baby for the weekend without checking the calendar terribly thoroughly). So I was delighted that before I went I got taken out for dinner on Wednesday evening (steak and ale pie, with chips, delicious!), and on Thursday I was handed a box with a very familiar postage stamp on the corner - Devon Sun Yarns, yay!

I'd mentioned Daisy's Mother's Day boxes to my husband several weeks ago and he hadn't mentioned anything, then last Tuesday morning I was browsing yarn sites on my phone and he asked whether he should have received an invoice for 'that yarn box thing'. I emailed Daisy who dealt with it all very swiftly; something had gone wrong with the invoicing and while she'd sent several reminders, none of them had got through either. We got it all sorted within a couple of days, and I got my lovely box of yarn on time.

The Mother's Day box had lots of customisable options, including yarn weight, number of skeins and colour range, so I gave my husband a little guidance as he doesn't know that much about yarn. I requested sock weight (when buying special yarn I aim thinner so it goes further), in either rainbows or jewel colours and left the rest up to him. I'd suggested that one or two skeins would be perfect, so I was very surprised (and delighted) when I opened the box and found not one, not two, but three skeins of rainbow striped yarn! The yarn is lovely, merino with bamboo, very squishable. I haven't decided what I'm going to do with it yet, possibly a shawl, maybe a Hitchhiker, and maybe some socks with what's left, but as it's special yarn I'm going to wait until I find the special project to make with it.



The box also contained lots of other goodies: a notebook, a tea bag, a little pot of body butter (which smells amazing), gorgeous blocking pins with floral heads, a cute flower stitch marker, and a wooden (I think) 'Best Mum' pebble. There was also a Lindt chocolate that my husband very kindly (!) ate for me as I've given up chocolate for Lent.



All in all an excellent gift, the only downside being that my husband might now realise how much my yarn habit is costing!

No comments:

Post a Comment