Tuesday 7 July 2015

My first Hitchhiker

In May I cast on my first Hitchhiker scarf. It's a pattern that has been on my radar for a long time, both through my assorted knitting groups and Ravelry. It's regarded as an excellent pattern for variegated yarns as the row lengths are constantly changing, which avoids pooling, so I cast it on with some of my Mother's Day yarn when I needed a straightforward project.


The scarf was a delight to knit. I could knit it whilst paying virtually no attention while at knitting groups or when I was the passenger in a car, or I could relax and watch the colours emerge in quieter moments. I didn't even mind when the rows got longer and longer, with each 'tooth' taking longer to emerge. I knitted the final two teeth while on a car journey to Somerset, and was a bit sad when I cast it off and was out of knitting.


Now it's done I just need to wait for some colder weather so I can wear it. I'll definitely be making more of these! Having knitted this one I know that one 400m ball of sock yarn will make 39 and three quarter teeth, which is a pretty good size for the scarf. It's always nice to have another suggestion for those balls and skeins of sock yarn that seem to just keep appearing around my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment