Friday 20 March 2015

Two eggs on top

Today was eclipse day, so we excitedly watched the sky while it got progressively... cloudier. Ah well, we did experience it getting a bit darker, and my son got very excited when the clouds thinned a little and he could see a 'sun moon'. I did try to explain what was going on, and he interpreted it as the sun and moon playing hide and seek, which was close enough.

After the slightly anticlimactic eclipse experience, we decided to do something we'd planned on dong for a few days: make 'two eggs on top' cakes, or, as they are more conventionally called, chocolate cornflake cakes. My son has been rather excited by these cakes for a while as our local baker sells them all year round, and they are definitely his most requested treat. We have made them before, but not at a time of year when Mini Eggs are available, so this morning's bake was an extra special treat.

While there are many methods for making crispy cakes, I go for the most straightforward: melt some milk chocolate in the microwave (we used about 175 g this morning), then stir in cornflakes (Sainsbury's cheapest, even I was staggered that they were only 25p!) until they are all coated in the chocolate, then spoon the mixture into cupcake cases, stick a couple of Mini Eggs on each and leave them to set. Super quick and easy, but very good.


Now all I have to do is resist them! Only a couple of weeks left until Easter!

4 comments:

  1. These look so yummy, I might have to make some over the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you make some? My son and husband have very much enjoyed eating them. Somehow there are still a few spare Mini Eggs in the bag - they wouldn't be there if I was eating chocolate!

      Delete
  2. For some reason, I don't particularly like these made with cornflakes, but I love them made with Rice Krispies (or own-brand equivalent, naturally). Two eggs on top is definitely the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might be the next making session as we bought 600g of Rice Krispies yesterday and I'm not totally convinced that my son will eat them. Personally I would have gone three eggs on top, but apparently that wasn't allowed.

      Delete