Thursday 16 October 2014

Impromptu bake day

I hadn't intended baking yesterday, until I managed to drop a box of eggs. Oops.






Three of the nine were broken, so we had an impromptu bake day. I grabbed the ever reliable Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook and leafed through it until I found a recipe that required three eggs and that we had all the ingredients for in the house: Buttermilk Pound Cake. I've made it once, possibly twice, before, and the ingredients are simple: eggs, flour, sugar, butter, baking powder and vanilla extract. And buttermilk. I wouldn't normally have buttermilk in the fridge, but had over-bought for my raspberry and white chocolate muffins, and had a spare, unopened, in-date pot in the fridge, so it was an obvious choice.

The method was straightforward, essentially cream the butter and sugar, then whisk in the flour and buttermilk. I own two small loaf tins and one larger one; as I had a spare packet of chocolate chips in the cupboard I decided to bake two smaller cakes: one plain and one with chocolate chips.






Unfortunately, on cooking, all the chocolate chips sank to the bottom, but the cake itself is really good - moist, with a nicely crispy crumb. We had some for pudding last night with ice cream, and I'm looking forward to sharing the rest with friends this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment