Monday 1 December 2014

A month in knitting: November 2014

It's that time of the month again; what have I achieved this month?

Finished!
Dripping on the Side
It's not my favourite hat ever, but is getting quite a lot of wear while I try and find time to knit another hat! You can read all about my making of it in a previous blog post.


Farm to Market Mitts
Knitted as part of the Indie Design GAL, really quick and very effective. I think I'll be making more of these. 


Star-Crossed Slouchy Beret
Technically finished last month, but finally got round to blocking it this month. My fifth of this pattern, it knits up quickly and makes an excellent last minute gift.

 
Granny's Favourite
My third of these, this one is destined for a friend's daughter. I cast it on last month, and lost interest about halfway through the body. I hadn't realised quite how close we were to the occasion the cardigan is for, so had to speed knit the rest of the body and the sleeves. I love it now it's done, but it might be time to put this pattern to one side for a bit.


Christmas Pudding Hat
As the title suggests, a Christmas pudding hat for my daughter. I've knitted about 5 of these over the past two years and still love them. It always gets lots of compliments; you can read more about my knitting the hat in this blog post.

 

Lily's Christmas stocking
At the request of a friend, I knitted a lovely festive Christmas stocking, which I'm sure I'll tell you all about in more detail later.



Are we nearly there yet?
Antiquity Mitts 
My handbag project for the past week, these were lovely to knit, and I really like them now I've cast off. Just waiting for them to be blocked now.

The wedding blanket
Some progress has been made, I'm over halfway. I will need to focus on crocheting this blanket though for the next few weeks to get it done on time!


Stash rotation
In
  • 400 g of Hayfield Bonus Aran in Neon. This one is not actually my fault; I ordered a ball of this last month to finish the wedding blanket, but when it arrived the texture was all wrong, so this is a complimentary ball from Sirdar. Thank you Sirdar, this one is much better!
  • 100 g pale blue baby DK. I needed some pale blue for a swatch for a submission, but didn't have any in my stash (although as I type this I think I might but was looking in the wrong place, oops!)
  • 100 g navy blue DK for swatching 
  • 100 g Drops Alaska, 100% wool; 50 g in Dark Red and 50 g in Off-White. Really annoyingly I ran out of yarn on the toe of the stocking I'm knitting, so had to order some more. I hate it when that happens. I was good though and didn't see what else I could buy at the same time
  • 50 g wool/acrylic blend. Free gift with Knit Now, so not sure it really counts. I should be able to use it though, the polar bear pattern it comes will be a perfect Christmas present for my son 
  • 200 g King Cole Magnum Chunky for a couple of hats for a friend's daughters - I didn't have anything appropriate in stash, and the girls need these hats!
  • 600 g aran weight yarn for a Rudi jumper for my son. He was insistent the jumper should be green and I didn't have any, and the shade he wanted only came in 400 g balls, always the way. Some of the colours I needed are from stash, but I also had to buy two shades of brown too.
  • 600 g ruffle yarn. It was a bargain, I could not resist!

Out
  • 50 g Debbie Bliss Rialto DK in burnt orange. This is the yarn I made my daughter's pumpkin hat from - I'm not likely to make another in the near future, so have donated my spare ball to a friend at my knitting group who was admiring the colour while I was knitting the hat.
  • 70 g Stylecraft Life aran for my Dripping on the Side
  • 45 g James C. Brett Pure Merino for the Farm to Market Mitts
  • 61 g Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran for the Star Crossed Slouchy Beret
  • 106 g James C. Brett Top Value DK for Granny's Favourite
  • 47 g Wendy Merino DK for the Christmas pudding hat
  • 440 g Drops Alaska for a Christmas stocking
Total: +1331 g 
Oops, really had better get working on that blanket. On the plus side, that's marginally better than last month. Better luck next month!


Aims for December
  1. Finish the wedding blanket!!!
  2. A stocking for my daughter
  3. Summer into Fall by Lisa Chemery
  4. Alhambra Cowl by Sarah Sundermeyer
  5. Buy less yarn than I use...

No comments:

Post a Comment